Mississippi Government College Scholarship and Grant Programs
College-bound students in Mississippi have access to one of the best financial aid resources in the country. The Rise Up website is the State of Mississippi's Higher Education portal through which you will find all the information you need on private universities, public colleges and community colleges in the state. Rise Up also offers Mississippi's resident students information and access to much needed financial aid in the form of grants and scholarships that will help them realize their educational and career goals.
General Academic and Need-Based Grants and Scholarships
Mississippi offers a substantial number of grants and scholarships for it's resident college-bound students. Realizing that a college education is the gateway to a productive and successful career, the Mississippi Department of Education is dedicated to providing support and encouragement to the students within the state. Working with state funds, and with private endowments, Mississippi is able to offer financially challenged students the necessary funds to complete their college education. Some of the most notable programs offered by the state can be found on the Rise Up website, and include:
- The Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant is available to academically motivated high school students enrolling a two- or four-year college program at an approved state college or university. Applicants must maintain a 3.5 GPA and continue to work toward a "first" degree. Maximum annual awards are $2,500 and renewable for up to 4 years of school.
- The Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant is available to students with financial needs that remain unmet by the Federal Pell Grant. Eligible candidates must be pursuing a degree in the state of Mississippi and have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Annual awards are $500 for freshman and sophomores, while juniors and seniors are eligible for $1000 in grant funds.
- The Nissan Scholarship is available to qualifying resident students enrolled in one of Mississippi's public two year or four year colleges. Eligible students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA, and a minimum score of 940 on the SAT.
- The Higher Education Legislative Plan offers full tuition scholarships to qualified students whose financial needs can not be met by other gift aid resources. Eligible students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA, and must score a minimum of 20 on the National ACT exams.
Career-Specific Scholarships and Grants
Many states across the country are suffering from a shortage of professionals in a number of key industries. Healthcare, science and education professionals are particularly in short supply. To help address this national shortage many states, Mississippi included, offer grant and scholarship programs designed to give much needed financial aid to those students intending to pursue a career in these critical need fields.
- The Graduate and Professional Degree Loan/Scholarship program from the State of Mississippi is designed to help students pursuing a career in Chiropractic and Podiatric medicine. Students may receive up to $7,000 per academic year, providing they agree to practice within the state following graduation. One year of contract service is required for each year of funding.
- The Gulf Coast Research Minority Summer Grant for Undergraduates is specifically designed to benefit underfunded minority students studying marine biology. Grants are available for both tuition costs and independent research projects within the state of Mississippi.
- The Critical Needs Teacher Loan/Scholarship provides scholarship funds, and loan forgiveness options, for resident students of Mississippi who are pursuing careers as classroom teachers. Full tuition awards are contingent upon the agreement to take a position teaching in a Mississippi school district following graduation.
- The Health Care Professions Loan/Scholarship provides an annual $1500 award to students pursuing a degree in Speech Pathology or Psychology. Recipients must agree to work within the state of Mississippi for a predetermined period following graduation in order to be eligible for this financial aid program.
These few examples are just a small sampling of the programs being offered by the state of Mississippi. Scholarships and Loan Forgiveness programs are available for students interested in Nursing, Special Education and Teaching. These programs seek to offer much needed financial assistance to qualified students in exchange for professional service within the state of Mississippi. In addition to the above programs the following Loans and Scholarship are also available.
- Mississippi State Medical Education Loan/Scholarship
- Mississippi State Dental Education Loan/Scholarship
- The Mississippi Teacher Loan Repayment Plan
- The Critical Needs Teacher Loan/Scholarship
- William Winter Alternative Route Teacher Scholarship/Loan
All of these seek to offer valuable financial incentives in return for professional service within the state of Mississippi. Loans are forgiven or waived upon satisfying required service obligations.
Dependent Scholarships and Grants
The state of Mississippi also takes pains to provide financial aid to the dependents of it's fallen public service men and women. Children and spouses of firefighters and law enforcement officers who have been killed or disabled in the line of duty are eligible for the Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers and Firemen Scholarship. This scholarship provides full tuition awards to the qualifying dependent children and spouses of it's fallen heroes.
Students pursuing their college education in the state of Mississippi have access to some of the countries most extensive financial aid programs. Couple that with the roster of fine colleges and universities to be found in the state, and Mississippi's college-bound students have a bright future ahead of them.
- Award Types
- Free Lotteries
- Scholarship Providers
- Search Tips
- Scholarship Funnel
- How to Apply
- How to Win
- Essay Writing Tips
- Letters of Recommendation
- Avoid Scams
- Fake Scholarships
- Business Admininstration
- Chinese Language
- Civil Engineer
- Computer Science
- Criminal Justice
- Dental Scholarships
- Foreign Language
- Graduate Nursing
- Health Administration
- Health Management
- Health Sciences
- Human Resources
- Mechanical Engineer
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Political Science
- Social Science
- Special Ed
- Sports Management
- African American
- Women's Scholarships
- Native American
- Disability Scholarships
- First Generation